THAT HE GAVE US HIS SON
Calvary's early pastors were not called to minister to the church indefinitely. Instead, the church met in conference once a year, until 1943, to choose a pastor for the coming year. The Reverend J. H. Haynes served the church as pastor until May, 1921, with the exception of one year when the Reverend G. E. Burrus served from July, 1917 to August, 1918. On August 7, 1921, the Reverend Joe H. Hall was elected to serve the church as pastor and served faithfully until 1924.
The church voted to adopt the envelope system for collection of the pastor's salary on October 19, 1921. Up to this time, many of the collections were taken by passing the hat among members in the church yard after the services. For example, on May 30, 1915, the collection for the pastor was $2.00. The following month he was paid 85 cents.
The Reverend M. B. Phillips was elected pastor on July 13, 1924, and served the church until April, 1925. On May 24, 1925, the Reverend E. B. Draughn was called to serve the church as pastor for the year beginning August 1, 1925. He served as pastor until July, 1930. The Reverend L. B. Murray served as pastor from July, 1930 to June, 1935.